The muscles in your back are split into areas that a back workout will hopefully focus on individually. Although sometimes not the most common of bodybuilding workouts, due to the back not being one of the “show-off” muscle areas, a good back workout will help build your upper body strength as a whole. It is great for fitness and building muscle, and is great to accompany any of our other workouts.
As for bodybuilding exercises, this back workout can be done from once a week to an intense 4 week bodubuilding program depending on the results you are aiming for. As the back can be a delicate area, be careful not to strain or injur any of your muscles and if you feel any discomfort then seek professional advice immediately. Always balance your workouts between other parts of your body, view our bicep workouts and leg workouts for more information.
Back Workout Exercises
Being one of the biggest and strongest bodyparts, the back is a crucial focal point for a workout to build muscle and strength. This selection of workout exercises for the back suggests some of the best back exercises for each section:
- Pull-ups: works on the lats, grasp bar with an overhand wide-grip making sure your are relaxed to stretch your lat muscles, pull up as high as possible using your arm strength which will contract your lats
- Pull-downs: works the lats, stand away from the overhead bar so that your arms are almost completely straight, pull down the bar in an arc shape with wide-grip ensuring that the only movement felt is in your shoulders (this is not an exercise for arms!)
- Seated Cable Row: using a cable row machine, works on the middle back, do not move your body forwards but keep your back upright and straight, bring the bar towards you with medium-grip pulling your shoulders and elbows as far back as possible
- Back Extensions: using a hyperextension bench, focuses on lower back, adjust the bench so hips are fully supported, crossing your arms over your chest slowly bend at the waist as far forward as you can rounding your back
- Barbell Shrugs: works on traps, holding the barbell with your shoulders relaxed, do a shrug action to bring your shoulders as close to your ears as possible
Back Workout Routine
Depending on the results you want from a back workout, you should choose the correct weight for your ability and the correct amount of reps and sets for your goals. This suggested back workout program is a great starting point for strength, muscle and endurance:
- Fitness Nutrition: always make sure you are keeping track of what you are eating and are supplying your body with the correct food
- Pre Workout: never forget to warm up and cool down always to avoid muscle injuries
- Pull-ups – 3 sets of 10 reps, 20 second rest
- Bent-over barbell row – 2 sets of 8 reps, 30 second rest
- Back extensions – 4 sets of 8 reps, 25 second rest
- Pull-downs – 3 sets of 12 reps, 15 second rests
- Barbell shrugs – 2 sets of 12 reps, 10 second rests
Rest for 1-3 minutes between each set.