Ab workouts can be so varied and different so it’s about time that you looked at ab workouts for men specifically! One of the workouts that is aimed at building mass muscle and keeping your body at a high fitness ability, you have come to the right place for our ab workouts.
Guys are always looking to have rock-hard abs and a great chest to show off, so these abdominal exercises should get your blood pumping and your muscles working hard! This ab workout is aimed for men but can be done by anyone with a high level of fitness, it would also be helpful looking at the ab workouts for women for extra ideas. Try not to neglect the rest of your body, check out bicep workouts, leg workouts and our back workout.
Ab Exercises for Men
These are some hardcore abdominal exercises to work your core during an ab workout, they can also be mixed with other workout exercises if you wish to do a more general workout:
- Bicycle Crunch: sitting on your bum with your upper body leaning at a 45 degrees angle backwards, place both your hands behind your head, extend one leg and bend the other reaching with your opposite elbow to touch your knee, switch legs and repeat
- Hanging Leg Raise: using a pull up bar, hang with your back straight, bring your legs up as high as possible towards the ceiling, bending and rouding your back, if unable to do this then lift your legs up to your waist
- Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift: standing straight with dumbbells in each hand and palms facing inwards, bend your hips and your knees keeping the natural arch in your back, lower your torso until you are about to lose your arch and return
- Swiss Ball Jackknife: in an all foors position with your legs raised on a swiss ball, keep your arms and back straight, bend your knees towards you causing the ball to roll and return
- Renegade Row: in a push up position, with dumbbells or kettlebells in each hand, move your weight from one side to the other by slowly raising your arm and bending it into your chest holding the weight
Ab Workout Routine for Men
The ab workout exercises can be put together to make a workout routine, you can do sets of each exercise pushing yourself to do as many reps as possible, or here is another suggested routine:
- Sit-Ups – 4 sets of 10 reps with 10 second rest
- Elbow Plank – 2 sets holding each for 30 seconds with 10 second rest
- Swiss Ball Jackknife – 2 sets of 15 reps with 30 second rest
- Mountain Climber (with swiss ball or bench) – 3 sets pushing yourself for 30 seconds with 30 seconds rest
- Hanging Leg Raise – 2 sets of 10 reps, 20 second rest
- Bicycle Crunch – 4 sets of 8 reps with 10 seconds rest
Never push your body too hard! If you feel pulling or straining, seek professional advice and calm down the exercise count. Check out our 10 minute ab workout if you’re looking for something speedy.