The amount of ab workouts out there is impossible to count and as a woman it can be even harder to find the right one for you. This ab workout for women is designed to be simple to follow so you can manage to fit it in to your busy schedules while also keeping your fitness levels up high. Many workouts can be done by both men and women, but when it comes to the ab workout there are usually some differences, generally in what goals want to be reached. Have a look at ab workouts for men if you want a challenge.
Generally speaking, an abdominal workout is perfect to do wherever you can – at home, at work, in the park – because it doesn’t require much equipment unless you specifically wish to add some light dumbbells or a gym ball. There are a large variety of ab exercises, some are taken from pilates and yoga workouts, so try them out to see which ones you enjoy. Don’t hesitate to mix exercises from bicep workouts, leg workouts or the back workout!
Ab Exercises for Women
For a flat and toned tummy, you need to work out all you muscles in the ab region and not just focus on one exercise or one muscle specifically. Here are our top 5 ab exercises (if you do not have equipment they can still be done without):
- Dumbbell Push-Up Row: place yourself in a sit up position holding dumbbell handles that are on the ground shoulder width apart, lower yourself to the floor and raise up again, lift one arm to your chest with the dumbbell and repeat with the other arm
- Opposite Arm and Leg Raise: on all fours, raise your left arm to shoulder height and right leg to hip height, hold and repear with the opposite arm and leg (for higher difficulty on returning to the start position try touching your knee with your elbow)
- Planking Frog Tuck: start in a push-up position, bring your right foot forward next to your right hand or as close as possible keeping your body straight and not dipping the whole time, repeat with the other side
- Twsiting Squat Thrust: standing with feet shoulder width apart and arms extended in front, bend your knees at 90 degrees angle and twist your upper body the left and return, repeat but twisting to the right
- Single-Leg Stretch: lying on your back with your knees bent, inhale bringing your chin towards your chest, bring your left knee towards our chest holding your ankle with your left hand and your knee with your right, raise your opposite leg to a 45 degrees angle, repeat with opposite leg
Best Ab Workout for Women
No matter if you are looking for a perfectly toned tummy for summer, for yourself or to boost your performance, this is the workout for you! Give it a try and add other abdominal exercises if you wish, add these into a cardio workout, or simply try fitting them in when you have 5 minutes spare at the office:
- Plank – 2 sets of 10 reps, 20 second rest
- Twisting Squat Thrust – 3 sets of 12 reps, 10 second rest
- Dumbbell Push-Up Row – 2 sets of 12 reps, 15 second rest
- Cobra Position – 2 sets of 8 reps, 10 second rest
- Single-Leg Stretch – 3 sets of 12 reps, 20 second rest
Feel free to modify what you want to change, to make things tougher, use weights of a Swiss Ball, if you are straining with the suggested requirements then lower the repetition count.
For a speedy workout, have a look at our 10 minute ab workout you can fit in as many times a day as you want!