Dumbbell exercises can range from easy to advanced and there are always loads to choose from. The dumbbell workout can be carried out at home or at the gym, on its own or incorporated in other workouts. So there’s no excuse to not give it a go!
The main purpose of dumbbell exercises, other than for your fitness, is to help build, tone and strengthen muscles. Each exercise is usually quite specific in its target area and you can combine them to create a dumbbell workout routine that works on the areas of your body that need the most help.
Best Dumbbell Workout Exercises
These are some of the most popular dumbbell exercises that you can choose from:
- Dumbbell Fly: lying on an incline bench (no more than 30 degrees incline) with dumbells in each hand, bend your arms outwards holding dumbbells straight above and then stretch your arms upwards above your head
- Bicep Curl: one arm at a time, bend your arm holding the dumbbell to your chest then extend your arm downwards and repeat
- Shoulder Press: standing up straight with dumbbells in each hand, bend your arms at shoulder length holding the dumbells upright then extend your arms above your head
- Lateral Raise: can be done with one or two dumbbells, with your arms lowered proceed to raise your arm, holding the dumbbells straight and in line with your shoulders
- Dumbbell Upright Row: can be done one or two at a time, with your arms lowered holding the dumbbells, raise your arm, bending it and bringing the dumbbell inwards towards your chest
You should only use a dumbbell weight that is appropriate for your height and body weight, as well as your ability level. You can slowly increase the mass as your become more experienced or within your dumbbell workout.
Read some of our dumbbell workout tips for more information.