First things first, you should decide what part of the body your dumbell workout routine is going to specifically focus on. There are different dumbbell exercises for different parts of your body, you might want to consider a full body workout or a dumbbell workout for arms only. It is totally up to you and your fitness goals.
Most workouts will require a pre workout or warm-up and the dumbbell workout is no different, so remember to do your stretches! You should alter your dumbbell workout routine to your difficulty level, starting with basic exercises as a beginner and moving to combinations if you are more advanced.
Dumbbell Workout Program
The following dumbbell exercises show which part of the body is targeted and you are then able to choose a selection from each, normally sets incude 10-20 repetitions, to create your own dumbell workout routine:
- Chest: dumbbell fly, bench press (incline or decline), bent arm dumbbell pullover
- Shoulders: upright row, front raise, seated shoulder press
- Arms: bicep curl, wrist curl (palms up or palms down), dumbbell kick-back, hammer curl, tricep/bicep extensions
- Upper Legs: dumbbell lunges, dumbbell toe raise, dumbbell squats
- Back: dead lift, kneeling one arm row,
It is advisable to take 15-45 second rests between each set of repeptitions and to take at least one day rest between each workout day to avoid any muscle injury. Also, stay hydrated! Drink water, glucose drinks or protein shakes when possible to keep your body topped up with nutrients and minerals.
Check out our dumbbell workout tips!