Our brilliant leg workout for women is a specific version of one of many leg workouts. We also have another specific example of a leg workouts for men and these are both a part of the wider bodybuilding workouts. Your legs are an important part of your body to maintain as they support us in walking, driving and almost every other daily activity. Not to mention, for any other type of workouts, our legs are almost always involved.
Everyone has different fitness abilities and it is crucial to recognise this. All of our suggested leg workout exercises can be modified to what is comfortable for you. For a lighter workout routine, decrease the number of sets and reps, and the opposite for a more forceful one, simply increase and try adding weights or equipment. Do not forget the rest of your body! Check out our bicep workouts and back workout.
Leg Exercises for Women
Ladies, let’s not forget about our lower body workouts there while we try and increase our upper body strength! If you are tired of the same old routine of squats and lunges then take a look at these great leg exercises for women that add a twist to the simple moves:
- Pistol Squat: stand up straight with your arms out in front of you at shoulder height, push your right leg out and bend your hips into a squat position keeping your arms and leg extended straight, hold and return repeating with the other leg
- Side Lung Butt-Kicker: stand straight with your arms by your side, with your feet pointing forward lunge to the right bending your right knee and extending the other, hinge forward from your hips and touch the floor with your left hand
- Marching Hip Raise: using a Swiss ball, lie on your back with your legs bent and feet resting on the ball, raise your hips creating a straight line from shoulder to knees, lift one knee to your chest and return
- Single Leg Lunges: add weights if you wish, standing straight with arms by your side bring one knee up towards your bottom in a leg curl, with the other leg, balance and bend down in a lunge position bringing your arms to hand slightlt in front of you
- Lateral Leg Lift: starting in a squat position with your hands on your hips (or with weights), spring upwards and push one leg outwards at a 45 degrees angle, return to squat and repeat with other leg
Leg Workout Routine for Women
This is a suggested workout routine that focuses on your legs and should be done 3-4 times a week on non-consecutive days. If you want a more full-rounded workout then incorporate exercises from different workouts, perhaps the bicep workouts or back workouts:
- Pre Workout: always make sure to prepare your body for the training you will do by warming up and cooling down
- Single Leg Lunges – 3 sets of 10 reps, 15 second rest
- Pistol Squat – 2 sets of 15 reps, 20 second rest
- Lateral Leg Lift – 4 sets of 8 reps, 10 second rest
- Carving Curtsy – 1 set of 15 reps
- Marching Hip Raise – 2 sets of 12 reps, 20 second rest
If you want to focus on certain exercises, try doing a ladder workout where you use the same leg exercise and start with a single set of 20 reps, moving to a set of 15 and slowly decreasing the amount.