Everyone will have different ideas on their ideal leg workout and as one of our bodybuilding workouts, it will only be as tough as you want it to be. If you are looking to push your body to the extreme then increase your intensity, and if you are looking to simply tone your legs then you do not need to push your body as hard. From tennis players to dancers, legs are an important part of the body to keep in shape!
When thinking about a bodybuilding leg workout, speak to a professional trainer first about your fitness and what level of exercise your body is used to. There are many workouts out there to choose from and you want to make sure you get the choice right. Have a look at our specific leg workouts for men and leg workouts for women as well as the great one below for everyone.
Leg Workout Exercises
These leg exercises are made for testing your muscles and pushing your body hard. They use equipment that you might not necessarily find at home, so why not try some of them out the next time you are at the gym! Combine a few different sets of exercises to create your own leg workout or see below for some suggested combinations.
- Leg Press: using the leg press machine, start with your legs straight in front of you after choosing the appropriate weight, slowly lower your legs towards your chest and back out again, works your quadriceps
- Seated Leg Curl: using the leg curl machine, select the appropriate weight, start with your legs handing over the cushion and push them towards your bum, works your hamstrings
- Front Barbell Squat: holding the barbell on your shoulders in front of you with your arms criss-crossed over the handle, slowly squat and return, make sure you are slow and use an accurate weight, works quadriceps and calves
- Skater Lunge: standing upright with feet shoulder-width apart, take a large step back with your left leg crossing it diagonally behind your right and swinging your arms so one is raised up and the other at the hip, repeat with the other leg, add weights or light dumbbells if you wish, works hamstrings and glutes
- Calf Press: using the machine, with your feet flat on the panel slowly use your toes to push yourself upwards and back again, works your calves
Leg Workout Routine
If you are a leg workout beginner or need some routine inspiration, here is a suggested leg workout routine for bodybuilding.
- Fitness Food: make sure you are eating healthy and supplying your muscles with the nutrients they need
- Pre Workout: always remember to warm up and cool down
- Leg Press – 3 sets of 10 reps, 20 second rest
- Leg Curl – 4 sets of 12 reps, 60 seconds rest
- Leg Extensions – 1 set of 20 reps
- Barbell Squat – 1 set of 10 reps
- Calf Press – 1 set of 15 reps
For beginner intensity, decrease the amount of sets and reps, for hardcore bodybuilders you can add to what is suggested and increase weights with the repetitions. With any workout, if you feel uncomfortable or straining in your muscles then seek professional advice.