Your abdominal muscles, also known as abs, are situated around your stomach. The ab workouts aim to focus on this area as many people want to get rid of fat and flabby tummies by working on their fitness. As one of the principal “show-off” areas in the body for men and women, people always want to work on their ab muscles to get great results. View our ab workouts for men and ab workouts for women for more ideas.
A toned mid-section is not only great for your self-esteem, but it helps prevent injury by giving your back support as the torso muscle wraps all the way around. The ab workout is great on its own and should be performed on non-consecutive days, but it is also great to include in any one of our other workouts. Try looking at bicep workouts, leg workouts and back workouts if you want variety in exercises.
Lower Ab Workout Exercises
Some ab exercises are brilliant to include before or after some cardio or other type of workout. You can string a series of them together for a focused abdominal workout or if you run a busy schedule then you can try doing your favourite exercise 10 times in the morning and evening. Find what works for you!
- Static Press: lying on the floor with knees raised at a 90 degrees angle and with your feet pointing in the air, extend your arms pressing your palms onto your thighs and breath in, on the exhale make sure to pull your stomach in tight
- Leg Drop: lying on the floor with your legs straight up at a 90 degrees angle to your waist, breath in, bring your legs down and exhale, whilst flat breathe in again and exhale while raising them to the starting position
- Weighted Crunch: with a plate in your hands, lie on the floor with your knees bent but feet touching the ground, holding your arms and plate above your head, crunch towards your knees, hold for a second and lower until your shoulders touch the floor
- Inching Elbow Plank: starting in a normal plank position with elbows on the ground and your body straight, take a tiny step with one foot towards your elbows and then with the other, repeat until your hips are in the air creating a pike position, return to plank
- Torso Twist: sitting upright with crossed legs and bending your arms connecting them with touching fingertips, breath in, rotate your body 45 degrees to the right and breath out, return and do the same to the left
Lower Ab Exercise Plan
The ab workout is quite simple to do by separating individual lower ab exercises or by combining different ones together. You can also add abdominal exercises to other workouts or cardio exercises.
- Pre Workout: always remember to stretch and warm up your body before a workout
- Inching Elbow Plank – 3 sets of 5 reps, 10 seconds rest
- Leg Drop – 2 sets of 12 reps, 15 seconds rest
- Scissors – 3 sets of 8 reps, 10 seconds rest
- Static Press – 2 sets of 15 reps, 30 seconds rest
- Weighted Crunch – 1 set of 10 reps
Take 2-3 minutes of break between each exercise. For a quick-fix, check out our 10 minute ab workout!