The tricep workout aims to focus on those forgotten muscles in your arms – triceps. As far as workouts go, everyone want to have bigger arms and they tend to only do bicep workouts, forgetting about the all important tricep mucles! Your arms consist of many different types of mucles and to build your strength and fitness you have to learn to focus on the different one, not just biceps, especially for bodybuilding workouts.
Read through some of our best tricep exercises and give them a go to see what works for you. Remember that you can adjust any workout routines to your own ability and for the goals you are aiming at. For toning muscle, keep it simple and for building muscle try slowly increaing weight, sets or repetitions (only one out of the three!). Have a go at exercises for the rest of your body too with our back workouts and leg workouts.
Tricep Workout Exercises
Although an often forgotten muscle group, triceps comprise of a larger number of muscles than the biceps. So, when trying to build muscle in your arms, don’t forget them! Include some of these tricep exercises in your own workout, or put them together to create a new one; whatever works for you as everyone has different bodies.
- Pulley Pushdowns: using the pulley machine, grip the bar overhand and select your desired weight, push the bar from its starting position down towards the ground and return
- Tricep Extensions: holding one dumbbell with both hands at the side of one of its weights, hold it behind your head with your arms bent, slowly extend your arms towards the sky so the dumbbell is above and behind your head
- Dumbbell Rollbacks: almost the opposite of a hammer curl, lying on your back with dumbbells beside your head, pick up the dumbbels in a hammer style and bring your arm up towards your chest
- Kickbacks: bending over with your feet apart, two dumbbells in your hands, start with your arms bent and the dumbbells by your chest, lower your arms and push backwards
- Bench Dips: using a high and low bench, feet on the low bench and arms wrapped around the edge of the higher bench, bend your arms and legs bringing your body below both benches and use your arms to rise up again
Tricep Workout Routine
Always try the individual tricep exercises on their own before going ahead to the tricep workout. This is a guide to a killer tricep routine but you can modify it according to your preferences. Try adding other muscle groups, or cardio work, or change the number of sets. Fully flexible exercises!
- Fitness Food: always make sure you are feeding your body with the appropriate food groups and nutrients
- Pre Workout: never forget to prepare your body with a warm up and cool down
- Bench Dips: 4 sets of 10 reps, 20 second rests
- Skullcrushers: 3 sets of 10 reps, 30 second rests
- Tricep Extensions: 2 sets of 15 reps, 10 second rests
- Kickbacks: 2 sets of 15 reps, 10 second rests
- Pushdowns: 3 sets of 20 reps, 30 second rests
If anything goes wrong during a workout, remember to seek professional or medical advice.