Yoga is a state of well being that brings together your soul, mind and body to achieve inner piece and enlightenment. The term “yoga” that we use today comes froma specific hatha yoga path. Hatha yoga, coming from Sanskrit, signifies the combination of asanas (poses), pranayama (breathing), mudra (gestures) and shatkarma (internal cleansing) to purify the body and ignite the body’s energies.
Today, modern yoga tends to focus principally on the yoga poses and positions to help get our body to an appropriate state of fitness. Some people may take up yoga for weight loss, while others for relaxation, no matter what the reason there are many different types of yoga you should be aware of.
Yoga is a brilliant way to improve physical and mental health, there are many yoga benefits that will persuade you to take up this ancient activity. If you are interested in where yoga came from, then have a look at the history of yoga. Also, a common question people ask is which is better between yoga vs pilates so browse through our pages.
Make sure to check out all our yoga advice and information!
Yoga For Beginners
If you are a newbie to the yoga scene, do not fear! We are hear to help become a yoga guru by providing you will the must-know information to start out on your new yoga journey. It is important to understand everything beforehand so that you can physically and mentally prepare to enter a yoga state of mind.
- Yoga Clothes: look the part to be the part, check out the best yoga outfit for you te relax and move in a yoga class
- Yoga Equipment: although there is not too much involved, there are some essential pieces of yoga equipment that come in handy
- Yoga Music: learn what is the best soundtrack for a relaxing yoga session at home or in the gym
- Yoga Asanas: the fundamental poses for yoga, the traditional name for pose (asana) and the history
Types of Yoga
With numerous yoga paths to choose from, it is important to be aware of all the different options available to you. The different yoga styles have different methods and purposes so view our information to see which one you prefer. Check with your local gym or yoga hall for more information on group classes that are available. View each style for information on poses and positions!
- Bikram Yoga: yoga that will get you hot and sweaty, a true workout!
- Hatha Yoga: the orginal form of all types of yoga as we know them today
- Kundalini Yoga: working from your spine updwards to get rid of stress and toxins
- Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga: mixture of breathing exercises and postures
- Iyengar Yoga: this yoga is stretches out the exercises (literally!) giving you a tougher workout
- Yin Yoga: meditative yoga that focuses more on the mind
It may be that you are interested in yoga for specific health or relaxation reasons, and the following pages will provide you with details on what you can be doing. Yoga exercises are a great way to keep your body and your mind in check so have a look and try it out for yourself!
- Yoga Poses for Back: working on your posture and alignment, good if you have had injuries
- Pregnancy Yoga Poses: some great positions and advice for those women expecting a little one
- Yoga Poses for Hips: whether you are pregnant, have pain or injured your hips, check out these poses
- Yoga Poses for Weight Loss: looking to shed some pounds, then try out these yoga moves
- Yoga Poses for Kids: a little fun for little ones in yoga style
- Yoga Poses for Beginners: