Many people want to know what yoga poses for hips are out there. The answer is too many to count! The great thing about all the different yoga poses is that there are an endless amount, for different types of yoga or for different reasons, and you can always find several specific yoga postures designed for what you are looking for. Yoga is a great way to work on regions of the body, whether that be joints or muscles, as it comes with great yoga benefits.
When doing a yoga workout it is important that you are wearing the appropriate yoga clothes to allow for you to properly execute the positions, as well as having the correct yoga equipment for stretching your body as far as it can. In particular, hatha yoga and iyengar yoga could be useful to improve flexibility in the hips or if you have pain in this area.
Yoga Poses to Widen Hips
The following yoga poses for hips are good if you want to improve your flexibility and strength. They will help open your hips, give your joints more movement and will also ease pain if you are sensitive in this area. It could be useful to take a look at our pregnancy yoga poses because these also focus on benefitting this target area.
- Happy Baby: lying on your back, raise your legs straight above you and hold onto the soles of your feet with your hands, your knees should be slightly bent and your knees slightly pointing outwards
- Reclining Bound Angle: lying on your back with your arms relaxed at your side, bring the soles of your feet together in a prayer position, bending your knees slightly outwards and as close to the ground as possible, use props if needed
- Wide Angle Seated Forward Bend: sitting with your legs stretched in front of you, spread your legs as far out as comfortable, reach your toes with your hands and bend forwards to press your chest and chin against the floor
- Frog: start on all fours with palms touching the floor, slide your knees outwards until you feel a comfortable stretch in your thighs keeping your calves on the floor, go down onto your forearms and hold
- Square: sitting crossed-legged, place your top foot on the bottom shin and the bottom foot under the top knee, bring your bottom leg in towards your body, bend forward and stretch your arms out straight in front
This video provides some useful moves and instructions on how to perform yoga poses for hips: